Health Benefits Of Cherry Tomatoes
Who can resist the sweet and charming cherry tomatoes? Tomatoes open the window of possibilities for every chef around the world i.e. to create new tomato sauces and recipes. However, the health benefits of cherry tomatoes will leave you surprised. Isn’t it good news?
It’s a fruit that comes from the nightshade family of South America. Despite it’s a fruit but has been used as a vegetable all its life all over the world. Cherry tomatoes are full of flavor and serve as quick ingredients for snacks too. It’s one of the most commercialized foods around the world. They are rich in vitamin C and K, potassium, and folate. They are available in a variety of colors from yellow to red to green and even purple (which is just amazing!).
Undeniable Benefits of Cherry Tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes have water bodies i.e. they contain 95% water. The remaining 5% is comprised of carbs and fiber. The nutritional values of a raw cherry tomato include;
- Calories – 18
- Water – 95%
- Protein – 0.9 grams
- Carbs – 3.9 grams
- Sugar – 2.6 grams
- Fiber – 1.2 grams
- Fat – 0.2 grams
Keeping the nutritional values in mind, we have conjured a list of health benefits of consuming cherry tomatoes such as;
Safeguard the heart
The most vital organ of our body that functions non-stop is the heart. In modern times, heart diseases are found to be most common among cancer. Heart attacks and strokes are dangerously increasing due to a number of factors like obesity, high blood pressure, and so on.
According to one study, it was found men have higher chances of heart disease than women. The low blood levels of lycopene and beta-carotene are likely to become the reason for the strokes. Consuming cherry tomatoes is suggested to lower the bad cholesterol (LDL). It also helps in reducing the inflammation while it also protects the inner layer of blood vessels.
Lowers cancer risk
Another common health concern these days, cancer, is spreading like wildfire among the larger populations. The uncontrolled growth of cells when spreads beyond the normal boundaries, forms into cancer.
Tomato or tomato products are said to lower prostate, lung, or even stomach cancer. This is because of the high lycopene content in the tomatoes. In women, a high level of carotenoids (found similar to tomatoes) is said to lower the heightened risk of breast cancer. So consuming tomatoes for women is equally beneficial.
Improves skin health
One of the most popular and favorite most benefits of cherry tomatoes is that it improves your skin health. Tomatoes are excellent remedies to suntan. The water properties and being rich in lycopene is what make it an active agent for the skin.
The best way to use tomatoes is to either mix it with turmeric or olive oil for everyday use to avoid any skin burns.
Activates weight loss
Hunger pangs are uncontrollable. Instead of snacking on fast food like fries or nuggets why don’t you try cherry tomatoes? It is believed that a 100g of cherry tomatoes have only 20-30 calories. They are quite low in sodium, saturated fats, and cholesterol. These three factors make up for the perfect combination for weight loss.
So if you want to lose unwanted inches start taking cherry tomatoes as a part of a healthy routine.
Home of vitamins
Cherry tomatoes are a perfect example of nutritious food. As we have mentioned, earlier the nutritional value is what makes it more demanding. Besides Vitamin C and K, potassium, and folate, it also contains magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and B6.
These nutritional ingredients are enough to help improve the immune system too. The existence of lycopene itself is a major benefit for women as it prevents the risk of osteoporosis. According to a study, the founding concluded that women who ate cherry tomatoes showed low bone density levels which is helpful in reducing bone diseases at a later age.
How to enjoy the health benefits of cherry tomatoes?
You can easily buy a bunch from any supermarket or grocery store. Keep an eye out for the brightest and firm tomatoes on the aisles as they are the best ones. It shouldn’t be wrinkly or have any cracks. If you find any spots on them, skip it and pick the other.
Always remember to keep cherry tomatoes (fresh) at room temperature. They stay ripe and fresh from 2-3 days away from the sunlight. Avoid washing them until they come into use. If you do not plan to use them instantly then you can put them on the top shelf of the refrigerator too. This will keep them cool enough to preserve the natural taste and color. If you plan to use them for cooking or for a skincare regime, out the tomatoes at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to use.