If you are fed up with feeling self-conscious about your smile and have been researching options for replacing one or more of your teeth, you’ve likely come across zirconia teeth as a potential choice. Although they’re a newer option in dentistry, zirconia teeth have recently become quite popular due to their many advantages and attractive look.
But what exactly is zirconia, and how do zirconia teeth compare to other dental treatments?
What is Zirconia Teeth?
Zirconia is a type of ceramic that is highly resistant to staining and chipping. It is made of a material known as zirconium dioxide and is used to make various things, including prosthetic teeth.
Zirconia teeth are becoming more popular as they look and feel more natural and realistic than traditional dentures. They look like natural teeth and are almost indistinguishable from the real ones. They are also incredibly strong, durable, and can last many years with proper care. Learn more about zirconia crown vs ceramic crowns https://dentakay.com/zirconia-crown/
What Makes Zirconia Teeth Better?
Zirconia teeth are a great option for those looking for a durable and aesthetically pleasing dental restoration. Here are some top reasons to consider this dental solution:
Zirconia teeth are incredibly durable and can last much longer than other options like porcelain veneers or composite fillings. Made of a strong ceramic material four times harder than porcelain, they can withstand the wear and tear of everyday life and the harsh conditions of eating and drinking.
- Strength and Longevity
Unlike other dental options, Zirconia teeth are a much more durable material that is not prone to staining or discoloration. They can last for over 20 years, making them an excellent long-term investment for oral health.
Zirconia teeth are designed to look just like real teeth, and the material mimics the internal structure of real teeth, making them look more natural than other materials used for dental work.
Zirconia is a biocompatible material, meaning that it is compatible with human tissue and won’t cause any allergic reaction or irritation. This is great for patients who have sensitive mouths or if you have allergies to certain materials.
- Improved Comfort
Compared to other dental materials, zirconia teeth are incredibly comfortable. They are lightweight so you won't experience excessive weight on your teeth. Plus, the material has a smooth surface and won't irritate your gums or teeth, making it a great option for those sensitive to certain materials.
What dental procedures are involved in Zirconia teeth installations?
Dental procedures in installing zirconia teeth require a skilled and experienced dentist to ensure a successful outcome. Some of the procedures include
- Preparation: When installing zirconia teeth, your dentist will start by preparing the teeth. They will remove decay and shape and reshape the teeth as needed. They will also use a special device to take accurate and precise teeth measurements to ensure the perfect fit for the installed zirconia teeth.
- Impressions: Next, the dentist will take impressions of your teeth, both the existing ones and the ones to be replaced. They will then send these impressions to a laboratory, where the custom zirconia teeth will be fabricated.
- Fabrication: The laboratory will first create a wax model of the zirconia teeth, which will be used to check the fit and shape of the teeth. Once approved, they will create the zirconia teeth using advanced milling technology.
- Temporary Fitting: Next, your dentist will fit a temporary set of zirconia teeth so you can get used to wearing them and using them daily. This is also a chance for the dentist to check the fit and make necessary adjustments.
- Final Fitting: Once the temporary set has been adjusted to your satisfaction, the dentist will remove it and fit the final permanent set of zirconia teeth. They will also check the fit and ensure you are comfortable with it.
- Finishing: Once the final set is fitted, the dentist will polish the teeth to make them look their best and remove any excess cement or material from the gums. They will also check the bite and ensure you can wear and use the teeth easily.
Do You Need to Maintain Zirconia Teeth Regularly?
Yes, it is important to maintain and care for your zirconia teeth regularly. It would be best if you practiced dental hygiene and cared for these teeth like natural ones. Brushing and flossing should be done twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and modern dental floss to remove food particles, bacteria, and plaque around the zirconia teeth.
Make sure to visit your dentist every 6 to 12 months to ensure that your zirconia teeth and gums remain healthy and free of cavities and gum disease. Your dentist may also recommend professional dental cleanings, polishings, and any necessary restorations to ensure that they remain in good condition and last a long time!
Zirconia is a durable and aesthetic product for tooth restoration, but to ensure a successful outcome, it's important to have a dentist involved. It's always important to get expert advice before deciding on major dental treatment; consulting a dentist before getting zirconia teeth is no exception.
A dentist can take a comprehensive look at your mouth and teeth, assess your oral health, and provide guidance on the most suitable product for your needs. They can also advise on any special care your teeth may need and ensure proper preparations are taken before you can fit your zirconia teeth.