Alcoholic intervention is a sensitive issue, and the effect can make or ruin a person's life. If not done properly, then alcoholic intervention might not be of any help for the person. The person might feel uneasy if the counselor is not appropriate. Proper medical counseling in the presence of a medical expert must be done. You must trust the counselor and wait to get the desired result. Do not get frustrated if the results don't come early; just wait and watch, don't be impatient, and don't stop the treatment in between.
There are a few questions that might arise in your mind before you opt for alcoholic intervention. These can pose problems in your way, and such questions might be, “What to do if the alcoholic is not willing to get admitted for alcoholism treatment?”
This is a real challenging situation; until certain exceptional situations, the patient should not be forced to get this treatment. If you follow a strict path and, without the patient's consent, take him to the counselor, this might turn the person violent and even disrupt the motive of the treatment. This doesn't mean that the family member should wait for certain crisis situations; they just have to guide the person in following the steps of alcoholic intervention:
The steps of alcoholic intervention are as follows:
- Stop the rescue mission: the family members often try and protect the alcoholic, and by doing this, they often motivate him to drink more. The family should stop this rescue mission and see the betterment of the person. This way would guide him to a way to fight alcoholism.
- Sometimes, the family members show sympathy towards the person. This way also, the person gets attracted to the drinking habits; if the person is involved in antisocial activities, never support him.
- The time period for alcohol intervention. Make a plan and work accordingly by making a set routine and time plan. This should start with the consent of the alcoholic person, so get his approval and act.
- Tell the person that you are concerned for him and the family, and that is why you are trying to protect him from alcoholism. Showing care would infuse a sense of respect for you and drift the person to alcohol intervention.
- Take the help of most of your family members and relatives and try and convince the person. This should help you in getting good and sound advice from most people and thus getting the best step to get alcohol intervention for the person.
- Listen to the person who is suffering from an excess of alcoholism. He might need your help. Talk to him politely and seek the reason as to why he is behaving in such a manner. Once you hear his point, then act accordingly and tell them that alcohol intervention will help in ending his woes. Tell him that alcohol is not the way; alcohol intervention would definitely help him to get out of the misery.
Alcohol intervention is one of the safest finest, and even the most lovable way of ending the alcoholic-related habits of a person. If you go about it methodically, it will prove beneficial to you and to the alcoholic.